Thursday, December 12, 2013

25 Days of the Unpopular: The 1975

If you are a fan of the Arctic Monkeys or Vampire Weekend, or you just enjoy unpopular music, you should definitely check out the 1975. They're a British band who've been together for about ten years now. I first heard about them through Twitter when BBC Radio 1 tweeted a link to one of their LiveLounge performances. Their music is hard to describe. It's like alternative grunge, but slightly calming, and something that would be played in the end credits of a John Hughes film. Their album is one of my favorites and one of the few that I can listen to the entire way through and enjoy every song.



What I appreciate about them is that they take their form of art seriously. Matt Healy, the lead singer, said that every lyric of every song they've written has been born from an experience in his life, and every song on their album has at one point been his favorite. This is something he said about their music: "All of our records are like bottles of water from a stream. We haven't written an 'album' or an 'EP', we create a bottle and put it out there, the stream is always flowing. And we create constantly because we are always in the same room." Take from that what you will!



At first glance, they seem a bit odd. Especially Matt. But I think it's the odd ones who end up making the biggest difference. They came to Denver in October, and my friend Mckenzie and I ran into Matt and the drummer George outside before the show. A homeless man had approached them asking for money, and Matt gave him five dollars and then hugged him. Witnessing that small act of kindness from him to another man made me gain more respect for him, as a person and as a musician, and I'm always going to remember that. 


I'M JUST A HUGE FAN AND I THINK YOU SHOULD BE TOO. 

And here's a link to their LiveLounge performance. Spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment