Monday, December 23, 2013

25 Days of the Unpopular: The 'Awkward Boy' Sense of Style

When you hear about current fashion icons, they're usually women who clad their bodies in overpriced garments and who are dubbed “trendsetters” by the likes of Karl Lagerfeld. Women dress like other trendy women and men dress like other fashionable men... or like the mannequins at Kohls. That’s just how it’s been. I wouldn’t say I have a huge sense of style, but I have noticed over the years that I gravitate towards the more masculine styles. And Harry Styles. I like oversized sweaters, button downs, denim jackets, baggy shirts, etc. Some men who have admirable wardrobes include: John Bender, Louis Tomlinson, Nick Grimshaw, Nsync circa 1995, Jack Sparrow. Admirable female trendsetters include: Lauren Conrad, Blake Lively, Michelle Obama, Alexa Chung, Raquel DeGroot circa the 1980s. It's hard to find a good medium. 


 

If you’re a girl and you want to dress like an awkward boy, or awkward person in general, I’ve listed out some of my favorite items of clothing, stuff that I think every girl should have in their closet! (Mother of Pearl, am I turning into Joan Rivers?!)

1. Plaid button downs. I wore a plaid skort throughout my private school years, and once I was out, I inadvertently switched it up. 

2. Any color button downs. V inexpensive at H&M. Layer under a cardigan to recreate the iconic Wednesday Addams look.

3. Denim button downs. Inspired by George Harrison who perfected the denim over denim ensemble to a T.

4. Denim jackets. Add to the denim over denim look for a triple threat. 

5. Minnie or Mickey Mouse ears. Always acceptable.

6. Black jeans. You can wear them weeks on end because they hide dirt longer than they should.

7. Footie pajamas/onesies. Need I say more?

8. Beanies. Tuck all of your hair into it. Now you look hard-edge. 

9. Maxi skirts. Pair with Uggs and a baggy shirt and you look like you voted yes on Amendment 64. 

10. Steve Carell sneakers. See picture below. When worn with leggings, they give off the allusion that you're fit and probably shop at Whole Foods.

There you have it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment