Sunday, December 8, 2013

25 Days of the Unpopular: The 1980s

I don't know about you, but personally I think I was meant to live in the 80s. Since that won't happen cause life's unfair, the next best thing I can do is obsess over anything 80s related. Being a teenager in that era seemed simple and lighthearted, and I wish my friends and I could've been around for it. I love everything about the 80s: the music, the fashion, the movies.




There's something about the music from this generation. It's passionate. And whether that passion is optimistic or pessimistic, it made/makes people feel something strong. Bands like Van Halen and Guns N' Roses and The Smiths are classics to this day, and of course there's Queen and Journey. And the music in almost every film makes you feel invincible.

Some of my favorite 80s movies are the ones with Molly Ringwald, like The Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink. They are such simple movies, but they make you feel so happy at the end! Except Pretty In Pink, because she belonged with Duckie, not Blaine ugh. And Ferris Bueller's Day Off is quoted like once a week here. One thing 80s movies, more specifically John Hughes' movies, had that we don't have as much anymore is male chivalry. Emma Stone's character said this in Easy A and she's completely correct. In these movies, the male character will do whatever they can to get the girl. And the movie ends with the happy 80s boy and his lady, whereas movies these days seem more dramatic about it. Oh well, life is life, things happen we'll get over it. In the words of Emma Stone, "John Hughes did not direct my life."


I think the fashion is my favorite part of the 80s. It's so colorful and perfectly cheesy. Although I wouldn't be able to pass up jogging shorts, baggy shirts and a fanny pack if the opportunity presented itself, I tend to gravitate more toward the awkward 80s boy look. John Bender from The Breakfast Club is my style icon and probably always will be. Denim and plaid will always be okay. I bet if more men dressed like him and washed their hair less, girls would be all over them. Or maybe that's just my personal male preference. One of my favorite 80s-inspired outfits would be jeans, a denim button down, and a denim jacket over it. Triple threat!! It'll never get old.








Moral of the story, let's all dress like Jane Fonda from her aerobic videos and cut our hair like a young Molly Ringwald. Also I'd like to point out that as I'm writing this my best friends are choreographing dances to High School Musical songs.


No comments:

Post a Comment