Monday, December 16, 2013

25 Days of the Unpopular: Reading

When was the last time you picked up a book and read for a few hours without checking your phone? Last night I sat and read Tina Fey's biography for a while and put my phone on 'do not disturb' (which was pointless because practically no one texts me), then I laughed for ten minutes and went to bed. If you're stressed or really anxious or annoyed, I guarantee you that if you turn your phone off and read a book for at least 30 minutes, you'll feel better. There's nothing better than sitting in silence and diving into a good book.

Books have lost their appeal over time as we've turned to technology and media to sooth our boredom woes. I really hope our generation doesn't lose the pastime of reading because in my opinion, it's much more entertaining than watching a movie (but that depends on the book and the movie I suppose). I've heard a lot of people say that "reading is boring." Well, kind sir/ma'am, that is dependent upon you, and if you read something that's funny or entertaining to you, I promise that you'll find it to be the opposite of dull. I saw a quote once that was like "If you think reading is boring, you're doing it wrong." Think of it as a movie happening inside your head!

If you're struggling with the idea of reading because you don't find fun in it, I've procrastinated on studying for finals and have written a list of a few of my favorite "easy-read" books:

The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson by Louise Rennison
British humor but into teenage form. There's ten books and every one has made me wheeze from laughter.

The L.A. Candy Series by Lauren Conrad
For the LC fanatics. 

Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
SO CUTE.

Bossypants by Tina Fey
Again, really funny, interesting, and slightly empowering.


The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green
You won't be able to put it down and you won't stop crying.


Had to stop myself because this isn't Oprah's book club. I've read too many books to have a favorite, but those are just a few of some easy, enjoyable reads. You could also read the Bible to cleanse your soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment